Meet the Citrix Certified Instructor - Melvin Porter

12:19 PM
Meet the Citrix Certified Instructor - Melvin Porter -

Welcome to Meet the Instructor , a series where we have the extremely talented and knowledgeable Citrix Certified Instructors (CCIs) meet, teach and interact with Citrix Education students daily. Today we have a long-time CCI Melvin Porter Dimension Data Learning Solutions are meeting

Where do you live

I grew up in Cape Town, South Africa.? - The most beautiful city in the world - but currently live in the most liveable city in the world.? - Melbourne, Australia

How did your career working with Citrix technologies start

I was for the first time at the time of MetaFrame 1.8 (late 190s) exposed to Citrix, but I then more involved with me Metaframe XP and later versions. This initial exposure was while I / Mathematics was actually a biology / chemistry teacher, but also looked after the infrastructure of a high / secondary school I was an IT administrator as well.

I fell in the IT role by accident. In one of my first teaching roles, I was asked by an officer, what I knew about Windows NT. I replied, "???? Windows NT Server or Windows NT Workstation NT 3.51 or the released soon NT 4.0" Apparently knowing something, even if only very little time to over NT me me qualify the admin to be, because that's when she asked me to look for the school network!

What is your favorite place is to teach courses and why?

I have always enjoyed the teaching of XenApp courses and now the XenApp & XenDesktop. These courses are often the ones where people may be exposed to Citrix, for the first time. As an educator, I get their eyes light up, to see if they realize the power and potential of Citrix as a solution for their environment. Light bulb moments are my favorite!

My favorite class experience is where the laboratory does not quite work for a student. If things do not work is perfect if you really want to learn, maintain and explore more. Not only do you get to teach the product, but get to explore methods and troubleshooting - something you need every day

What advice would you give to an IT professional who is considering a Citrix Education Class !?

go to class with an open mind, and be willing to change how you do things. Very often IT professionals teach how to do every day tasks - this is an excellent way to learn, but unfortunately can unknowingly incorrectly or not to do to best practices in accordance things to be

your teacher is there. run and to demonstrate the capabilities of the product. It is up to you to take this knowledge and apply it. you will benefit in the long run see

What is your favorite memories in a class of the teaching

[-Encouragetheforcestosendemployeesoncoursessoonerratherthanlater?

I was a Citrix Presentation Server 3.0 course to a full class lessons and during the introduction of student presented as follows:

"G'day - I {insert name here}, I am from { insert company here}, I have been sent on this course of my manager, I do not know why. I hate Citrix, it is a waste product and I do not want to be here this week. "

The class was quiet, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Some people laughed, others writhed awkwardly. In an optimistic voice I replied, "Well, we're going to have to change this perception and show you what can really do Citrix You will be amazed.." He was unfazed and ran from me, and I felt like an uninvited guest at a small dinner party. At this moment, I would rather be somewhere else, but it!

During the day and he was completing the labs, I heard something along the lines of "Pffft - Never this feature work before" seen. He realized what he had done wrong in its production network - Ding! Thing! Thing! - Bulb moment. During the week, I heard more and more of these kinds of comments. Thing! Thing! Thing! Thing! Thing! Thing! His behavior changed and until the end of the week he was really into it. At the end of the week, he thanked me personally had left after each. He admitted, much to learn and to enjoy the product. Over time, I noticed he was popping up more and more in all Citrix classes. He calls himself the Citrix Evangelist at work now. Love it


What talent your hidden

dad jokes - Nothing like a good dad joke! I see it as a talent, my children to see it as a curse. I try to mix them in the same time with IT. For example, I have a large UDP joke - but I'm not sure you get it! It is the NTP joke, but that's really difficult because the timing to be just right!

If a student has never met a course with you what they will be surprised by most, if then get? in the classroom with you

I tend to teach with a lot of analogies - it is something that is often mentioned in the course reviews. I find something that students can relate to convey in a simple way and then that tie with the concept that I try.

I even explained malls XenApp Balancing to jump through analogies and away from a tram-drawing (a familiar sight in Melbourne). If you jump on a tram and then you realize an emptier tram behind you ... well, you jump from the tram and get to the blank. The same applies for load balancing in XenApp -. If there is a less loaded server that is available after the session has started, you must log off and log back in to get the loaded Least Server

How would anyone want to get in touch when it a class with you:

I want to take http://www.ddls.com.au a full-time teacher at dimension Data Learning Solutions (DDLS) - we have branches throughout Australia? , DDLS has a great blog also, https://www.ddls.com.au/blog - are heaps of useful information. DDLS has two teachers who "CCI of the Year", awarded both I and my good friend and colleague Terry Griffin. won DDLS has the Citrix Authorised Learning Centre (CALC) of the Year award many times. We make regular instructor training conducted and guided virtual teacher training through telepresence. We would be pleased to see you on a course. We would also like to hear from you, if we have learned in the past. Maybe about training for me to reach it, my email address is time for another course?

Feel free melvin.porter@ddls.com.au

You can also find Melvin on LinkedIn

Previous Meet the Instructor Posts:

Mauricio Schäpers
Justin Apsley

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar