Check the VPN Security: IP address and DNS Leaks

2:22 PM
Check the VPN Security: IP address and DNS Leaks -

How do you know if your VPN is secure You can try to take the VPN provider's word for it but having a way to verify the VPN security is better. I'll watch some tests you can perform on your own to ensure the security of your VPN, and protect your well

Check VPN security :. What should it secure?

The biggest thing that you should look out for is DNS leaks . If your ISP can still see what web sites you visit, your VPN is not secure enough. If your ISP can see what web sites you visit, they can collect this data, the sale to advertisers, and sell you on the NSA.

The other thing you should do is VPN securing your IP address against monitoring . He must hide websites. We have a practical tool for IP address that you can use to make sure your IP address is broadcast for a city or a different country if you selected VPN in a city / country different. It is the easiest way to check VPN security.

There is no one tool that can check VPN security for you. There are a few, in addition to our IP address tool, I want to show you so you can check your VPN security on your own and discover.

extended IP Tester

After using our IP address tool above, you can do a more thorough check with this tool. He will check the VPN security regarding your Java, Flash, and DNS. Make sure they are all different from your actual IP address.

I am certainly not in Spain. Or rather, I am unfortunately not in Spain. Here is what Web sites see when I visit them

vpn is secure ip address

Every aspect of my Web experience thinks I'm in Madrid! You can also take each IP address and do a Google search on it. If they show something, but the country / city of your VPN provider, your VPN is not secure and DNS leaks. I used IPVanish in my example here, everything was clear!

Check VPN security for torrents

When you make P2P and torrenting, you want be sure your VPN is secure to protect your anonymity. ipMagnet is an open source tool that you can use to check your IP address within a framework of torrenting

He will check VPN security levels by downloading a file on your computer using your customer usual torrent. I use Bittorrent, and it worked just the same as any other thing that I downloaded.

Once you download the file it will show you your results. Here are mine:

vpn is secure for torrents

As you can see, torrents still think I'm in Spain. My VPN is secure and protect me when I download torrents.

Check DNS leaks

To check for possible leaks, it does not get much simpler than DNSleaktest. com. When I first go to the page it shows me my VPN IP address. He thinks I'm still in Spain:

vpn is secure dns leak homepage

I have the opportunity to test a standard or an extended test. The difference lies in the number of requests for it performs a DNS leak test. The difference is a factor of 6:

  • Standard Tests: Makes 6 queries
  • Extended Tests: Makes 36 requests

If you absolutely have positively to have the best security and the most secure VPN, go for the extended test. It takes an extra 30 seconds.

I went with an extended test. As you can see, it always shows me as being in Spain:

vpn is secure against DNS leaks

What if your VPN leak your DNS or IP address

now, you did a check on your VPN security levels and found to be lacking. My first advice is:

  1. Get a better VPN provider

Easy, huh? Each of the 10 suppliers in our list passed these tests

Other things to consider include :.

  1. Make sure your VPN client is installed properly. You can uninstall and start over with a new installation.
  2. If you use OpenVPN, check if you have the certificate in the right place.
  3. Check with the VPN provider, their FAQ pages will usually lots of information waiting for you.
  4. Skip using SSTP / OpenVPN in your VPN client software.
  5. If leaks occur in the torrents, check to see if your VPN is a VPN kill switch. This will kill your connection if the VPN server drops, protecting your IP address to be exposed. A VPN allows P2P and has a kill switch is IPVanish .

These are the most basic things you can do to check if your VPN is secure, and fix if it is not. For anything else, it will come to know if your ports are configured correctly, for that, I suggest you take your questions directly to the VPN provider as each situation may be unique.

In the case you'e wondering, no, it's not my IP address. 😉

the entity image via Imilian / Shutterstock

6 Likes

Leave a comment. Cancel

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar