XenApp Best Practice # 3: Consistency

2:33 PM
XenApp Best Practice # 3: Consistency -

Back in my college days, I shared a flat with some other people. One night, I was sitting in my room in front of my PC, staring at the keyboard to find out how to complete a project for my COBOL class (yes I am that old).

All of a sudden I noticed some letters on the keyboard have been rearranged somewhat incongruous :) to spell out how I asked my roommate, who was with my keyboard in disarray, they start to laugh because they that done over a month had forgotten before and completely.

I never look at my keyboard. I know that the letters F and J have small bumps on them, so that my fingers are always on the right letter. Every keyboard I use is consistent, always the same.

What would happen if the letters were rearranged? It would be complete chaos for me. Instead 85 words per minute typing, I would be happy to give 5.

Consistency is essential for productivity and a good user experience with.

If we use our desktop PC to work with local applications, consistency is a matter of course, because we we are the only ones who know that changes can be made. So, there is a very high probability that, how things work, and one day the same on the next will be.

But XenApp is different.

XenApp send me to a completely different server for Microsoft Visio. Will my Citrix templates to be there? When I try to access Microsoft Outlook, my signature will be there? Will my custom dictionary to be correct? If the app the right plugins? If the screens are configured exactly as I have?

For the sake of argument, let's say, can guarantee that all the XenApp servers the same set of applications hosting are identical installed and configured. What will you do when the user to restart the access to the server?

Everything a user variations to be added in the configuration slowly, until one day-BAM! -the app is not loaded or a plugin fails. All these slight variations add up a lot faster than when compared to a conventional PC, because rather than a single user PC for months access hosting thousands of users in a matter of days on a XenApp server.

For this reason, we lifetime servers require consistency for XenApp, which is our next best practice

XenApp best practice # 3 :. must hold to deliver servers the same set of applications configuration consistency throughout life.

Daniel ( Follow @djfeller)
XenApp Best Practices

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar